Maine West A+ Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slackware (linux forum)

3 posters

Go down

Slackware (linux forum) Empty Slackware (linux forum)

Post  osomo Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:50 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slackware
http://www.slackware.com/announce/1.0.php

Summary:

Slackware is a operating system created by a man named Patrick Volkerding. It is one of the oldest linux distrubitions, and is the oldest still being used. Slackware was originally descended from Softlanding Linux system. The first slackware which was 1.00 was releases on July 16, 1993. It was a 3 1/2 inch floppy disk. Slackware's package management system can install, upgrade, and remove packages from local sources, but makes no attempt to track or manage dependencies, relying on the user to ensure that the system has all the supporting system libraries and programs required by the new package. Slackware packages are gzipped tarballs with filenames ending with .tgz.

osomo

Back to top Go down

Slackware (linux forum) Empty sdfsd

Post  jdeleon061 Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:58 pm

slackware is great for zipping files. I dont think it is a good flavor to use now because it is old. There are better flavors of linux out there that give you this abilitiy. It is good though that your files are zipped. Its also good that it can install, upgrade, and remove packages from local sources.

jdeleon061

Back to top Go down

Slackware (linux forum) Empty Slackware!

Post  mshaikh845 Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:22 pm

It being a old model I probably would not use it and I think the newer XP models of Windows are much better especiallly better than other older models such as Linux. I'm not a very enthusiastic user of the computer and therefore don't like that Slackware relys on the user. I just use the computer to go on the internet for web research, email and typing up things in word documents. Other than that I hardly ever sit down on the computer in my free time or for fun. I am however impressed that being an old model its still being used and is able to install, upgrade, and remove packages from local sources.

mshaikh845

Back to top Go down

Slackware (linux forum) Empty Re: Slackware (linux forum)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down