Maine West A+ Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antivirus Review

2 posters

Go down

Antivirus Review Empty Antivirus Review

Post  mhansen411 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:25 pm

Kaspersky

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/kaspersky-review.html

Kaspersky lab is one of the newer companies in the antivirus software business. They are bases out of Russia and provide antivirus software all over the world. They have a user friendly system and good service.

Kaspersky Labs has been one of the best antivirus software developers in the world for over a decade and now Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 only strengthens that reputation. Founded by Natalia and Eugene Kaspersky in 1997, this Russian company is often the first to find and identify new viruses. Long used in Russia and Europe, Kaspersky is now making inroads in the North American market. Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2009 is one of the most effective antivirus packages in the world today and boasts a great interface with easy to use and intuitive controls.

Like so many of the other antivirus packages including BitDefender, Kaspersky Anti-Virus comes with an antispyware component. Kaspersky's software is among the best products in the world, but at $39.95 for a one-user for one-year license, it’s on the high-end of the software we reviewed.

Norton 360

http://reviews.cnet.com/internet-security-and-firewall/norton-360/4505-3667_7-32330411.html

Norton is a very well known name in the antivirus world. They have been around for a long time and always keep up to date on the new viruses. I think they are one of the top companies in the antivirus business.

The good: Norton 360 is mercifully light on system resources; it's intuitive, covers most of the bases that a comprehensive security-and-performance tool should, and includes free online storage.

The bad: Norton 360 doesn't support Firefox or Opera browsers; doesn't include wireless security tools, doesn't provide an ID vault for passwords or credit card info.

The bottom line. The bottom line: For home and student use, we think Norton 360 represents the best value for ease of use, tools offered, and overall system performance. We recommend it over Total Protection and Microsoft Windows Live OneCare.

McAfee

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/mcafee-review.html

McAfee is another well know name in antivirus software. They have been around for a long time and I prefer them over Norton. I think they have a better system and the customer service is much better. I haven't had any problems with them since I started using them.

McAfee is an industry leader in computer protection and VirusScan is their #1 defense against viruses. This software comes with a ScriptStopper to prevent viruses from propagating from one computer to another via email, and WormStopper.

Some downsides to the program are that it doesn't provide instant message protection, P2P/file sharing protection or registry startup protection. Check out the Gold product if you're looking for these features.

AVG

http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/avg-review.html

AVG is a fairly new antivirus software program and I think they will be a new powerhouse in the industry. I have never used them but it seems that they have a good system that is easy for the consumer to use. Its also a free download from the internet.

AVG Antivirus has been an up and coming virus scanner for many years. Its free version is one of the most downloaded files on the Internet in the Computer Security sector. The new interface is clean and intuitive while still remaining useful.

AVG went through a re-write of their virus scanning engine and included two of their stand alone products with AVG Antivirus as well. AVG Antispyware and AVG Antirootkit were both integrated with the virus scanner. Also revamped is the way AVG Antivirus uses the hardware within your computer. It has been changed to make better use of the multiple cores which are common in todays computers. This should speed up scanning as well as reduce slowdowns.

Ad-Aware

Ad-Aware is one of the original spyware companies so I know that they have a good program. The only bad thing is its mainly for spyware and not other viruses but this program should be in use with another antivirus program.

Ad-Aware by Lavasoft is one of the original anti-spyware companies and perhaps the most well-known. Although it didn't seem to find as many components as other products we reviewed, it is a good solution for detecting spyware. Ad-Aware comes with a well-rounded feature-set including real-time monitoring, automatic updates, and rollback capabilities. It doesn't offer as many useful features as Spy Sweeper, however. For example, it lacks the ability to schedule scans and the real-time monitoring isn't quite as effective. It also is much higher priced and this product is targeted to IT professionals or technically-oriented users. In addition, the technical support is horrible. We've put in several email requests and they've either been ignored or taken much longer than they should have. We have also been unsuccessful with talking to a live person.

Zonealarm

http://personal-firewall-software-review.toptenreviews.com/zonealarm-pro-review.html

Zonealarm is a great personal firewall program that really locks down your computer with control of what it will and wont allow to come into your system. I think its a great addition to any computer.

ZoneAlarm Pro by Zone Labs, Inc. is our "TopTenREVIEWS Gold Award" winning personal firewall software. This powerful firewall software program not only protects your computer from hackers, it also protects your personal data by blocking spyware and adware as well as protecting your identity with the my VAULT utility. Whether you're a novice or a computer professional, ZoneAlarm Pro makes it easy to keep your computer data safe.

mhansen411

Back to top Go down

Antivirus Review Empty Re: Antivirus Review

Post  radams22 Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:27 pm

I agree, I think Zonealarm is a good protection software and would work good on a computer. I like it because it interacts good with other anti-virus softwares.

radams22

Back to top Go down